Troubleshooting missing appointment availability
There are many reasons why availability might not show up online. This article shows you a few things you can check in Best Practice to make sure everything is correctly setup on your end.
Manually created availability
Creating appointments manually in Best Practice will cause them not to be published on HealthEngine. This is done by right-clicking in the appointment book and choosing 'Available'.
Signs thatindicate that this is the the problem include:
- Missing availability that is not consistent on a certain day from week to week. It is random in respect to the day and time that is missing.
The HealthEngine system will publish any available appointment within a standard or special session that is created for a practitioner. Any availability that has been created manually in the appointment book (as shown above) before a standard or special session is created will void the availability within that session.
For example, if a practitioner has manual availability created within the appointment book between 8am and 10am on a Monday, and a standard session is then created for Mondays from 8am until 5pm over the top of this, the time between 8am and 10am will not be shown online.
In order to fix this issue the session must be deleted, the manual availability must be 'undone' and the session then re-created.
The following steps must be competed in this exact order...
- In the main screen of Best Practice go to Setup > Sessions.
- Choose the practitioner with the missing availability.
- Select the session that's missing availability and write down the details so you know how to recreate it later.
- Now delete that session. It won't affect existing appointments.
- Close the sessions window and open the appointment book.
- Look in the appointment book for the problem practitioner, date or time, and you will see that the practitioner in question still looks available (white slots will be seen). Right click on each white cell and choose 'Unavailable'. IMPORTANT: When you do that, the slot should turn plain grey with no text inside. If it has 'Unavailable' written in it you are making a real session unavailable - it could be a special session.
- Once you have removed all manually created availability in the appointment book, go back to the main screen of Best Practice, Setup > Sessions, choose the practitioner and re-create the session using the details from step 3.
- The missing availability should show within a short period (up to one hour).
On the day appointments
The HealthEngine Appointment Connector does not publish 'On the day' appointments created in Best Practice, even once they become available on the day.
If you are missing availability online, it could be that the times have been created as 'on the day' appointments.
On the day appointments created under 'Practice Defaults' will affect online availability for every practitioner. Our system will not show any of these appointments.
To check your 'On the day' appointments go to the Best Practice main screen, Setup > Sessions and select 'On the day' appointments. An example of 'On the day' appointments created in Practice Defaults can be seen below.
Each of the times listed in the above example will not be published online for any practitioner.
If you wish for these to be displayed online, you will need to delete the 'On the day' appointments. If they need to be kept as 'on the day' appointments, HealthEngine unfortunately will not publish these times.
If you wish to delete them, see below for step by step instructions.
- Click Edit
- Choose Wednesday from the drop down list
- Uncheck the times from 9:00am to 10:30am
- Click save
- The appointment times should show online within a few minutes.
- Don't forget to check on the day appointments under each practitioner as well.
- HealthEngine will never publish on the day appointments at any time.
Below are some things to check in Best Practice that could be affecting online availability.
- Make sure the correct 'location' is selected for every session, and for every practitioner. If the location is set to 'default' it will not be displayed online.
- Check all the settings thoroughly including the appointment length, start and finish dates, week cycles and cycle start date.
- Check each practitioners 'extra sessions', 'days away', and 'on the day' appointments as these may affected your online availability.
- Check 'on the day' appointments in 'practice defaults' as these will have an effect on the online availability for all practitioners.
Recent changes to locations, practitioners or new practitioners
Any changes to a practitioner's name, standard appointment length or location name will create a new instance in the setup at HealthEngine and will result in the practitioners appointments going offline.
You may be able to reconnect their appointment book in your practice admin portal under settings> manage practitioners> edit appointment types. Click 'change appointment book' for the practitioner you have changed and select their new appointment book from the drop down menu.
Not every practice has the ability to connect their own appointment books, in circumstances where you do not see the 'change appointment book' option, just let us know via email or chat so that we can update our system and ensure that your appointments are kept online.
Is the service running?
On the server where the Best Practice database is installed. You should see a HealthEngine icon in the system tray.
If you right click on this icon you will see a message that says 'Service is running' or 'Service is not running'. If it's not running, try selecting 'Start service' and see if that fixes the problem.
If you have updated to BP Jade there is further troubleshooting available for that here.
If you don't see the icon in the system tray you might need to open the HealthEngine Appointment Connector icon again. Don't forget to click the little up arrow to see more icons in the system tray (if you have a little arrow), the little arrow looks like this...
If the HealthEngine icon is still not visible, go to Start menu > All Programs > HealthEngine Appointment Connector > Systray Monitor. The HealthEngine icon should appear in your system tray.