Sidebar Installation for Mac
Installing a program on a Mac is a bit different to installing a program on a PC. The following guide explains how to install Sidebar onto a Mac.
1. Download the file from HealthEngine's download page
2. Open the DMG file
Open the .dmg file and drag the HealthEngine icon onto the Applications folder icon.
3. Close the .dmg file, then move the original .dmg file into the trash.
4. Open Sidebar
The Sidebar file will be located within the Applications folder.
- Select the Finder icon in the dock (bottom left of screen):
- Click on the Applications folder on the left hand side.
- Find and open the HealthEngine application.
5. Optional - The practice wants Sidebar to open when the computer restarts
A) Open 'System Preferences'
B) Users and Groups
C) Follow these steps:
- Make sure that the current user is selected
- Select 'Login Items'
- Click the padlock icon and enter the password to make the changes
- Click the + icon.
D) Find and click the HealthEngine app in the Applications folder (right-hand side), then exit.
6. Proceed with the installation
Are you getting an "unidentified developer" error?
If you're trying to install the Sidebar on a Mac and you get the following warning...
"HealthEngine Appointment Sidebar.app" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
That simply means it's not registered and available on the Apple App Store.
To get past this warning, open your system preferences and go to Security > General (tab) > Allow applications downloaded from: Change it to 'Anywhere'.
If it's greyed out, click the lock on the bottom left of that dialog box, then enter your Mac password. You should be able to change it after that.
Once you've made that change, try the Sidebar installation again.
Sidebar for Mac Being Pinned
The sidebar does not stay pinned to the right-hand side of the screen. Practices will need to resize their Practice Management Software window to accommodate for viewing the sidebar and the Practice Management Software at the same time. This is the main difference between Windows and Mac; it's just how the Mac works, but it can be managed by staff.
Notifications only appear for a short period of time; if the sidebar is hidden for any reason, then you may not see the flashing red box. Just remind you should keep checking Sidebar or your practice emails.