General Patient FAQs
What is Online Healthcare?
- Online healthcare, also known as telehealth, involves the use of telecommunications and virtual technology to deliver health care outside of traditional health care facilities. You can now find and book online healthcare appointments with HealthEngine.
What can I use Online Healthcare for?
- You can use online healthcare to book an appointment with a GP for advice on general medical issues, including: cold and flu, sexual health, diarrhoea, vomiting, and to request medical certificates, prescriptions (including repeats), specialist referrals, as well as pathology requests and radiology requests.
Can I request a medical certificate?
- Yes, you can use online healthcare to request a medical certificate.
Can I request prescriptions or repeat prescriptions?
- Yes, you can use online healthcare to request prescriptions or repeat prescriptions.
Can I request a consult if I am having an emergency?
- No, the services offered by online healthcare are not suitable for medical emergencies.
- If you are experiencing an emergency, please dial 000 or go to the nearest hospital emergency department.
Can I request a consult if I am a hospital-admitted patient?
- No, you cannot use online healthcare if you are a hospital admitted patient.
Are the online healthcare consultations (also known as telehealth consultations) covered by Medicare?
- Online healthcare is a privately billed service and Medicare rebates are not applicable for GP consultations.
- Currently, the Medicare Benefits Schedule states that Medicare rebates are enabled for telehealth consultations with medical specialists and for residents of telehealth-eligible areas.
- Please see here for more details - http://www.mbsonline.gov.au/telehealth
What is the refund policy for the online healthcare service?
- Whether you are entitled to a refund for any online healthcare service, will be determined by the policy of the online healthcare provider you booked an appointment with. Please reach out to them to request a refund.
I am using Phenix Health and I have more questions about their service.
- You can find out more about Phenix Health here: https://help.phenixhealth.com.au/faqs/
I am using Doctors on Demand and I have more questions about their service.
- You can find out more about Doctors on Demand in the "Doctors on Demand: Videoconference FAQs" tab in this webpage here: https://www.doctorsondemand.com.au/faqs