New Patient Forms is a feature that allows your patients to complete their New Patient Form online before they attend their appointment with your practice.
Using Healthengine's New Patient Forms, you can save time for both your staff and your patient's by having their details already accessible in your Practice Admin and/or in your Practice Management Software!
- Accessing New Patient Forms
- New Patient Forms and Patients
- Filling in the New Patient Form
- How to Access a Submitted New Patient Form
- Viewing a Submitted New Patient Form
Accessing New Patient Forms
Those with the Practice Efficiency Suite subscription, Online Booking System subscription and/or Telehealth subscription will have free access to the New Patient Form feature.
You can find this in Practice Admin under 'Bookings' and then selecting 'New Patient Forms'. To activate this feature, simply select 'Activate New Patient Forms' as seen in the images below:
If you do not have these subscriptions but would like the New Patient Forms feature, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager who will help arrange this for you.
New Patient Forms and Patients
When navigating through the booking flow on Healthengine, new patients will be required to fill out their booking information as per usual. Upon completing their booking, the option will appear to complete their New Patient Form online as seen below:
This same message and link will appear in the patients' Booking Confirmation email.
For clinics with access to the Off-Platform Forms feature, you also have the option to provide patients with your practice's unique URL or QR code to complete their new patient form online. You can send the URL or QR code to patients via email or SMS before their appointment and/or print out a copy of your QR code to display in your waiting room for patients to scan before their appointment. This is useful for patients who book through means other than Healthengine and for walk-in patients.
Filling in the New Patient Form
Once the patient clicks the link or scans the QR code, they will be taken to a secure web page containing the empty form - following this, they will be able to fill in their details and submit them to your practice!
The information that is able to be completed by the patient in the form is outlined below (all required items are marked with an asterisk).
Please Note: This is the information collected by default - you are able to add custom fields to the end of the form if you wish. To find out more about this, check out our Help Centre article How to Customise Your New Patient Form.
- Given name(s)*, Family name(s)*, and Preferred name
- Date of birth*, gender identity*, birth sex*, marital status, and occupation
- Residential address* and postal address
- Home number, work number, and mobile number*
- Email address*
- Medicare card number, reference number, and expiry date (or checkbox to declare they don't have a Medicare card)
- Details of their Pension, Health Care Card, and/or Veterans Affairs cards (if applicable)
- Whether they have Private Health Insurance and if so their fund name and number
- Next of kin details (name*, relationship to patient*, mobile number*, home number, work number)
- Emergency contact details (name*, relationship to patient*, mobile number*, home number, work number)
- Whether they have an advance care directive for end of life care
- Cultural background (Aboriginal status*, Torres Strait Islander status*, other cultural background, spoken languages*, preferred language)
- Whether or not an interpreter is required*
- List of allergies and/or intolerances, including a description of the reaction for each
- List of regular medications and doses
- Smoking and alcohol history
- Whether they consent/agree to:
- Being contacted by the practice with health-related reminders, appointment reminders and practice updates
- Being contacted by the Immunisation and Cancer Screening registers with health-related reminders
- Their having completed the form completely and accurately to the best of their knowledge.*
You can view an example of the New Patient Form here.
Please Note: This is a demo form only and you will get an error when you submit the form - the demo form will not include any custom fields added by your practice.
How to Access a Submitted New Patient Form
Once the patient has submitted their form, a notification email is sent to the Primary Contact at your practice, or as per your Notifications settings in Practice Admin. This email contains a link to view the patient form details securely in Practice Admin. For patients who booked via Healthengine, this will be on their booking details in the Bookings table. For patients who used your practice's unique URL or QR code to complete their form, this will be under the 'Off-platform forms' menu under the 'New patient forms' section of Practice Admin.
If you are using Best Practice, MedicalDirector/Pracsoft or Zedmed and are integrated with Healthengine, a PDF copy of the New Patient Form will automatically be saved against the relevant patient record in your Practice Management Software for patients booking via Healthengine.
Additionally, for users of Best Practice, MedicalDirector/Pracsoft or Zedmed, most of the information can be set to automatically update in the patients' file if your account is configured to do so - if you would like to enable this setting, simply speak to your Customer Success Manager who can enable it for you.
To find out where to locate these New Patient Forms in your Practice Management Software, check out our Help Centre article, About the New Patient Forms Integrations.
Viewing a Submitted New Patient Form
At this point, you are able to transfer the details recorded in the New Patient form into your Practice Management Software if you wish.
For bookings made via Healthengine, you have up until 14 days after the patient's booked appointment date to transfer these details - after which, the details will be deleted from Practice Admin and Healthengine's database in order to comply with relevant privacy legislation.
For forms completed via your practice's unique URL or QR code (Off-platform forms), you have up until 14 days after the form was submitted by the patient to transfer these details - after which, the details will be deleted from Practice Admin and Healthengine's database in order to comply with relevant privacy legislation.
Please find below a video walkthrough of Healthengine's New Patient Forms:
If you are interested in New Patient Forms but don't have the necessary subscription with Healthengine, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager or our friendly Customer Support Team via phone, chat or email firstname.lastname@example.org.